If you already have a .it domain name in this section you can find information about the editing operations you can perform.
Notice! In order to change a .it domain name it is necessary to have the authinfo code, which the Registrar gives to the Registrant at the time of registration.
You have to contact a Registrar for:
- Change the Registrar, the Registrant, or both.
- Change the Registrant data.
- Cancel a domain name.
You have to contact Registro .it for:
- Registration of a reserved domain name
- Change of Registrant data
- Opposition procedure
- Access request for data and documents relating to the registration, maintenance and opposition of domain name
- Registration of a domain name following a challenge and/or reassignment
- Verification of subjective requirements that led, in due course, to the assignment
Not all domain names can be freely registered. There exist reserved domains, assignable only to particular subjects.
Some dot it domain names are reserved and cannot be assigned to any Registrant:
- names corresponding to Italian regions, provinces and municipalities (e.g. toscana.it, pisa.it, viareggio.lucca.it);
- names corresponding to certain network services or resources (e.g. www.it, internet.it, mail.it), These domain names cannot even be assigned under the "predefined geographical organization";
- names corresponding to "unsponsored" ICANN gTLDs (e.g. com, .net, .info, .name).
Domain names that do not match the official name of a local government body may be registered freely in the same way as with a second-level domain (e.g. cnr.it, governo.it, fiat.it).
Domains that identify Italy as a nation can only be assigned to Italian government agencies.
Notice: Domain names that do not match the official name of a local government body may be registered freely
Domain names that correspond to the gTLDs "sponsored" by ICANN (e.g. .edu, .gov) can only be assigned as second-level domains (e.g. gov.it) for entities that are recognized by the Italian Registry as "competent organs of the state".
To register this type of domain names send a paper application completing the following form:
The Registrant may only request directly to Registro the modification or integration of some of its data in the Registro Database if the Registrar does not reply to the request.
It is advisable to have the modification made by the Registrar, who can update the data both in their own archives and in the Registro .it database, thereby aligning the information so as to make the carrying out of any subsequent operations on the domain name itself easier.
The subject who is the assignee of the domain name can in no way be changed.
IN THE EVENT THAT THE REGISTRAR WHO MAINTAINS THE DOMAIN NAME FAILS TO RESPOND, IT IS POSSIBLE TO REQUEST THE MODIFICATION DIRECTLY TO REGISTRO, USING ONE OF THE FORMS LISTED BELOW:The request must be sent only in the Italian version. The English version is available only for a better comprehension of the document.
Requests for changes may be sent to the Registry:
- Via fax at +39 050 54 24 20, with a single multipage transmission containing all the necessary documents
- email: email@example.com
- certified e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail or courier to:
Istituto di Informatica e Telematica del CNR
Via G. Moruzzi, 1
When the assignment of a domain is the subject of dispute between one or more parties who claim the right to it, Registro .it provides its users with a specific tool: the challenge procedure. This "freezes" the allocation of the domain until the dispute has been resolved.
It is possible to check the documents related to the registration, maintenance and challenge of a specific domain .it.
The opening of the opposition does not allow automatic possession of the domain already registered by another party but enables access to two procedures - alternatives to appealing to the judiciary - for the resolution of the dispute: informal arbitration and reallocation procedure.
The procedure is described in the Regulations of assignment and management of .it domain names
In order to request verification of subjective requirements it is necessary to compile and send to the Registro.it a specific paper request (the request must be sent only in the Italian version.):